A while back Xiaomi released a new feature called Glance in the MIUI 9 update, which allows the notification to be shown on the screen while the device is on standby. While this sounded like a great feature, it caused a lot of issues for users of the device as it also shows ads, useless news and a lot of irrelevant content. This blog addresses how to remove Glance from Mi/Xiaomi phones.
How to remove Glance from lock screen in Mi Phone?
It’s pretty easy to turn this feature off. Once you change the theme, the wallpaper carousel should be deactivated.
Follow these steps to turn off Glance for your Mi phone:
- Go to ‘Settings.’
- Locate the ‘Lock Screen’ option and click on it.
- Next, locate the ‘Glance for Mi’ option and click on it.
- Just uncheck the ‘Turn on’ option and that’s it!
Your lock screen will return to its previous glory of static aesthetic that you might choose to make it look the best.
How to remove the Wallpaper Carousel in MIUI?
- To set your device’s wallpaper, open the Settings menu, choose Wallpaper, and select the Wallpaper carousel.
- Uncheck the Offline (wallpaper) checkbox and then click Apply to save your changes.
- In your device’s Settings, tap on the Installed Apps option, and then scroll down to the All tab.
- Scroll down to Wallpaper Carousel.
- Click on the Uninstall.
After following the previous steps, there’s something more that you might want to do to continue the safety of your lock screen. Just open Google Play Store and search for ‘Glance for Mi’ and uninstall it. It’s that simple.
What is Glance?
Xiaomi’s new update in the MIUI led to some controversy over the lock screen features. This update introduced ‘Glance’, a Xiaomi way of describing ads. So Glance is just software that changes your lock screen every time you click that power button to look at the lock screen. Some people like this new feature and some don’t because the ads can get annoying.
Why should I disable Glance?
There’s a lot of reasons for this question but let’s keep it short:
- It simply ruins the aesthetic of the device with annoying ads and news.
- It consumes mobile data without the user’s permission.
- It offers a lot of irrelevant content most of the time.
- It may cause lag and stutters in the device, depending on the configuration that you’re using.
- It prevents you from choosing a definite wallpaper as the system constantly keeps changing it.
- And it consumes space in your device, which can be freed to make your device run smoother.
MIUI is quite infamous for the bloatware and ads it offers us to intrigue the best of our mental health. And Glance is another annoying way for Xiaomi to make some extra bucks out of those ads while invading our personal space. So that’s not acceptable. I hope this article proved to be useful for you.
In case you want to go one step ahead and remove the promoted or pre-installed apps in Xiaomi phones, please do read our article on how to stop promoted apps In Redmi phones