Every Android user desires a custom ROM in their device to perform tasks like getting a better device performance, removing the pre-installed applications, changing the IP address from time to time, or fix locked devices or a device in a boot loop. This can be done quite easily if you know how to flash TWRP in Redmi Note 3. This article will also answer the common problems users ask on flashing of TWRP in Xiaomi Redmi Note 3.
TWRP for Xiaomi Redmi Note 3
TWRP, the acronym for Team Win Recovery Project, is an open-source software custom recovery that flashes third-party software onto Android devices. It helps you to format, wipe, install or run a complete backup of your system as you wish.
Click on the download link to get the TWRP file.img from here.
Note: If your device has the stock kernel, you won’t be able to boot. You need to install a kernel to bypass the boot prevention. Some Xiaomi Mi devices having a custom Kernel require additional steps to unlock before you can flash custom images. That can be done by using MI Unlock Tool and waiting for a particular time period before it’s unlocked. Click on Xiaomi’s MIUI website to unlock your device.
Advantages of TWRP Recovery
- Create/restore/backup your smartphone.
- Flashing new OTA updates to android devices
- Format/repair/clean broken partitions
Pre-requirements for Installing TWRP Recovery
- Have proper Nandroid backups of your IMEI, DRM keys, etc. Check your Smartphone serial number.
- Make sure that your Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 has more than 80% battery(Check on the right top corner of the screen).
- Check the device battery, and your pc should have proper power backup. Make sure you’ve inserted the charger in the charging port because the process must not break at that time period.
- Download All Required Files device SD storage:
- Download flashable Zip SuperSU– Root access to SuperSU
- Download Magisk Zip file– Root access to Magisk
- USB Drivers: Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 USB Drivers
- Download ADB and Fastboot
How to flash TWRP in Redmi Note 3?
First of all, you need to unlock the Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 bootloader protected by the device’s OEMs for security concerns. Also, it would be best if you turned on the Developer Options and USB Debugging mode to install the TWRP recovery mode on Redmi Note 3.
Click on this link to know how to enable the Developer Options and USB Debugging mode in Xiaomi Redmi Note 3. Follow the steps of the recovery guide:
- First, enter ADB and Fastboot folder. Hold the shift key and right-click anywhere on the screen. Open Power shell windows or Prompt windows from the Menu.
- Press and hold Power and Volume down buttons together unless it enters into fastboot mode.
- Use a standard USB cable to connect the device with the PC’s micro USB port.
- Launch the ADB drivers file & tap on the install option when you see Redmi Note 3. This will install the required ADB Driver.
- From the ADB folder, launch the command.bat file from the ADB folder and check if the device is successfully connected to the PC.
- Reboot your device into bootloader by entering into another command window
- Now to flash TWRP recovery, enter the below command type:
Congratulations! You’ve done it.
Bonus: How to Root Xiaomi Redmi Note 3?
Steps for smartphone rooting:
- Download the Super.zip file and put it in the SD storage of your device.
- Now you need to boot the device into TWRP custom recovery. For that,
- Go to Settings > Updater app > Click On three dots > Reboot to Recovery mode or,
- Use Volume-power button combinations. Tap on the Power Down button to power off your device and simultaneously press the Volume down button
- Next, tap on “Install” & locate the downloaded SuperSU.zip file from the SD card. Swipe to install.
Congratulations! You’ve rooted your Redmi Note 3 using TWRP custom recovery. You can also flash Super Su App to gain root access.
Note: Flashing TWRP or following the rooting process is a risky process & voids your device warranty. We don’t take responsibility for bricked devices.
Can I flash TWRP without unlocking the bootloader?
You can’t flash TWRP if you do not follow the bootloader step to unlock your Xiaomi Redmi Note 3. Since it checks for OEM signature before flashing anything, you only can flash signed images from smartphone OEMs through recovery.
For that, you need access to the recovery partition. That is why unlocking by putting the device into bootloader is essential in getting access to flash unsigned images like custom ROMs.
Can I flash TWRP without root?
Yes, you can. Download the proper version of it from their official website and install TWRP Recovery without root.
You can use a command-line tool called ADB(Android Debug Bridge) to modify and apply commands on your phone via PC. Follow the simple steps given below:
- First, you need to become a developer. For that, go to settings-> About phone-> MIUI version.
- Tap on it seven consecutive times, and you’ll become a developer.
- Enable USB Debugging in Developer Options
- In the next step, download SDK Platform Tools and extract the file from the window, “platform-tools-latest-windows.zip” to a C:adp.
- This will start the installation process of TWRP recovery.
- Copy/Move the.IMG file to the extracted ADB file’s location
Open the command prompt and type ADB reboot bootloader in your command window.
This will take the phone into fastboot, where you need to download the correct image file. Rename the image to twrp.img and type fastboot flash recovery TWRP.img in your command window after copying it in the same folder as your platform-tools.:
You can also find the proper key combo from Google to enter recovery. Hold the key combo after typing fastboot reboot.
Boot to TWRP, and it will, in turn, patch the stock ROM version to prevent it from replacing TWRP. You’ll have to repeat the install if you don’t follow this step.
Now you can boot your device using the TWRP custom recovery file and use its features.
How do I flash a recovery image without a computer?
Follow these steps to flash recovery with the image without a PC:
- Download correct Clockworkmod for your Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 & rename it to recovery.img file
- Place it at the root of your internal micro-SD card
- Download & install terminal emulator from Play Store.
- Run the terminal and type: su (press enter)
- Then type: dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 (press enter)
- Make sure the above codes are typed correctly. You won’t see any confirmation as it is done almost instantly.
- Reboot into recovery.
Does flashing TWRP wipe data?
Recovery flashing is done to boot user data partition, which stores data on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 3. To flash TWRP, you need to unlock the device bootloader with fastboot devices, which is very likely to wipe your data.
Do share the article with your friends and let them enjoy root access on their respective Redmi Note 3 phones.